Thursday, September 11, 2014

Drugstore Sweeties: Maybelline "The Nudes" Palette

Okay, so I have done a bunch of more pricey stuff and I figured it was time to start a Drugstore Must Haves type of entry for those of us on a budget.  I can not afford to buy half of the shit that I do, but sometimes eyeshadow has to take precedence over eating in a given week!  Anyway!



First and foremost... excuse this terrible picture.  I was kind of excited to get it open and there was still sticker crap on the lid, so I didn't want that in the picture.  I got the CVS sticker crap off with some hand soap and elbow grease later.

I was really excited to see the Maybelline "The Nudes" Palette come out because honestly, you don't usually see eyeshadow PALETTES in the drug store.  Singles, duos, trios, quads, or even small "palettes" the side of a credit card maybe, but I don't really count those as real Palettes.  So this was cool.  But it is NOT easy to find!  Maybe it's just me, but I went to about 10 different drugstores over the course of a few weeks and FINALLY found this puppy hiding in a CVS.  Now, the first time I saw it, I didn't buy it because I was only in the drugstore to get headphones and somehow I remember it being bigger.  But I digress,  I finally found it.  And for about 13$, it was mine.

Now, usually, the only thing I would pay 13$ for in a drugstore is the loose makeup powder-- Loreal Bare Naturale or whatever... I've used it for about 7 years, you'd think I would know for sure-- but I had been eyeing this and decided it was time.  So this is what you get... 12 Shadows and an applicator.  The swatching didn't particularly thrill me.



The colors look beautiful-- they're a range of nude whites and tans, to warm browns, to golds and bronzes.  It really allows for a variety of looks to be made.  On the back of the palette, Maybelline has suggested "the quads," "the trios," and "the duos," but obviously us Divas don't really follow those.

The colors were not horribly buttery like I generally prefer and they weren't NAMED so I can't really describe them all for you.  This is actually a huge pet peeve of mine.  Not only is it fun to be like, "Oh, I used Venom and Diva on my eyes today," or some shit like that, but it makes it difficult to specify anything without having the palette in your hand.  The first shadow in the top left was creamy and beautiful... the shimmers were pretty nice, but the matte shadows were very dusty and many of them had a lot of fallout.  The color payoff was not stellar either... but I suppose when you compare anything to Cherry Smoke (Smashbox), it won't come up 10s.

Anyway, even after swatching didn't thrill me, I went ahead and used the palette anyway.  It was actually much better primed and on my eyes.  So I guess my transgression was not wasting primer on my arm to swatch.  Sadly, it was a busy day at school and I did not take a selfie... and I chose to use Cherry Smoke today.  But anyway, it applied much nicer to the face, just watch out for fallout.

This palette wasn't one I would turn back flips over, but it is also one of the only drugstore PALETTES that I have ever seen, so whatever.  For the price, it's a great buy and it is very versatile.  I would say that it would be a good beginner's palette for someone who is just starting out and isn't sure if they like makeup yet, or someone that just prefers nude tones without paying an arm and a leg for them.

At the end of the day, it hurts me to spend 36$ on an eyeshadow palette... and this one will do just fine.  I would give it a try, but I have only seen it at ONE Duane Reade and ONE CVS.

No comments:

Post a Comment